It has been going nearly two weeks now. In the first week the council rang and demanded that the organisers register it and pay $45 for the privilege of feeding the poor in Hamilton. Also they tried to say we should feed them out of the CBD, even though thats where the Homeless are. They also said permission needs to be granted by a leasing tenant to hold the event outside their building.
The first demand must have been so obviously ridiculous that they withdrew it the same day. But the other demands they have hounded and hounded until the organisers bowed to the pressure.
Some key points of note:
- The council representatives refused to help locate a venue.
- They never once suggested the council was working on any solutions to the problem.
- It seems the employees and council members in hamilton are only concerned about how it looks to have homeless in the CBD and not that there are people suffering on the streets of a there western "civilised" city.
- Many of the homeless have mental health issues. Many have addiction issues. Some are elderly, some young. All have some reason why they are there. Some its just a temporary thing while others are stuck in that situation.
- It seems that immigration needs for housing take precedence over New Zealanders needs. Some of these people have been on housing waiting lists for months.
- The question remains, is a city council responsible for its citizens?
As you may be aware there is a poverty and Homeless problem in this city. We are unsure what steps if any you as a council are doing to resolve this issue from within the city.
However we are focused on this issue and others in the city that are a result of bad management by central and local Government's. This drive will carry us to more protest and more forms of awareness and information for the voters of Hamilton, who are frustrated that this city is left looking like a slum in New York instead of a green loving New Zealand City.